Monday, April 20, 2009

Thief

I use a commercial shared kitchen for the business, and it's a great concept. Except that it's a little like living with roommates again. You never quite know who's drinking your milk or eating your frozen burritos. And you want to maintain a good relationship, so if someone drinks your milk here and there, who cares?

So anyhow, I bought a case of mini chocolate chips. 12 bags in a case. So when we open it up and use one, there should be 11 left. 12-1=11. Basic math. But... there were only 10.

Okay, no big deal, I tell my bakers. It's fine. Just one bag. It's bound to happen. It's like $2. Whatever.

And then we go back the next time. I count. Only nine bags.

My one baker says, "Leave a nasty note! They're STEALING from you! From US!!!"

I mulled over it for the next couple of hours and finally wrote this:
Hi. :) We're so flattered that you love our chocolate chips so much. Next time we go in on an order, we can definitely order more for you. Just call us ahead of time: xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thank you so much!
And then I left it inside the box.

I don't want to be rude, and I really don't want to rock the boat. But honestly, I feel a little bit like Ross:



I don't know. Maybe I was too snarky.

11 comments:

Alyssa Coberly said...

okay you fully just used my favorite word ever ... I ADORE snarky (just fun to say) and I love the note you left - - its perfect!

Alexis said...

I do not think your note sounded bad. It actually sounds really nice. I would have probably been a little meaner in my note. I would have said something like "stop taking our chocolate chips and if you still are going to take them, leave me $2 in it's place. We count our stuff so we know when things are missing." Now that is harsh. Well, that's what I would be thinking, I probably wouldn't write it. Good luck with the thief issue. Hopefully they will stop!

Unknown said...

You should move to Oregon. They have a domestic bakery license here where you can do your cupcakes out of your very own home. You just have to have separate storage for your ingrediants and a seperate refridgerator. Although, I have to admit, I do sometimes steal my wifes chocolate chips.

Mrs Coops said...

I really would be bothered by this - I have a MASSIVE thing about people being honest, and if they take something, to replace it or pay (or at least ASK for heaven's sake!!).

Although is there any chance that these guys thought that it was a bag that their boss had bought for them and that YOU guys are the ones stealing from THEM...? - just a thought... :)

Restless Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Restless Dad said...

I would have suggested putting some black pebbles in some of the bags. I think then the thief would realize he shouldn't mess with your stuff =)

Restless Mom said...

Not a chance, Noelle, that they didn't know. It's on OUR shelf! Totally separate. And it's like 7' up! (That's like 2.2 metres for you Aussie/Brit types :) haha!)

Well, went back to the kitchen, and nothing missing. No phone calls either. Maybe we made our point.

Maret said...

I hope someone sends it into the PassiveAggressiveNotes blog!

Megan, John and kids said...

I love the snarkiness of the note. It would probably be my tactic. And, since it seems to have worked, it was totally worth it.

Laura said...

Don't worry Mari because it's not personal, it's business, right? I learned that from watching The Apprentice.

Jerin said...

Yes, your note actually was somewhere along the same lines as Ross'. Both were very polite. :) I'm glad yours was more effective than Ross' though.